5 Ways To Improve Your Health Through Positivity
Maintaining a positive outlook in later life can have significant benefits for our health and well-being. There have even been Ivy League university studies proving that a happy attitude about ageing could lower risk for conditions such as diabetes, stroke, and heart disease, as well as loneliness and depression.
Here are five steps seniors can take to cultivate positivity and improve their overall health.
1. Practice gratitude: One way to foster positivity is by focusing on the good things in life. Take time each day to reflect on what you're thankful for, whether it's a supportive friend or a beautiful sunset. Keeping a gratitude journal can help you remember and appreciate these blessings.
2. Stay connected: Social connections are essential for seniors' mental and emotional health. Make an effort to stay in touch with friends and family, whether it's through phone calls, video chats, or in-person visits. At every Optima Living community, we encourage as much social time with loved ones as possible.
3. Engage in meaningful activities: Having a sense of purpose and accomplishment can improve your mood and boost your self-esteem. Find activities that bring you joy and give you a sense of accomplishment, whether it's gardening, painting, or learning a new skill. Optima Living communities specialize in filling each day with fun and productive activities.
4. Stay active: Regular physical activity has numerous health benefits, including improving mood and reducing the risk of chronic diseases. Try to incorporate exercise into your daily routine, whether it's going for a walk, doing yoga, or joining a fitness class.
5. Seek support: If you're struggling with negative thoughts or feelings, don't hesitate to seek help. Talking to a trusted friend, family member, healthcare provider, or Optima Living care team member can help you process your emotions and find ways to improve your mood and outlook.
By practicing these steps, seniors can cultivate positivity in their lives, leading to improved health and well-being. Remember, it's never too late to start focusing on the positive and living your best life.